Funky Heart has asked the question , How a heart defect affects me? Well 2 years ago, my life was forever changed by a little 4 week old baby boy with a broken heart, my son Zeb. In all honesty before CHD touched our lives I did not know much or very little about heart defects. So this is how it has affected me:
1. I no longer take life for granted, every day is a gift.
2. I could now most likely teach a class on the heart, since I know
more about the heart now than ever before.
3. I look at my son in amazement each day, and remember where God has
brought him from and I am thankful.
4. I am always looking for purple fingernails and toenails.
5. I can’t bear to hear a helicopter overhead as it brings me back to
that horrific day my tiny 4 week old baby boy was lifeflighted to
MUSC to save his life.
6. Today, I hug my children a little tighter and hold them a little
longer. It took almost losing 1 of them to realize that every moment is priceless so hold them
a little longer today, the laundry or whatever can wait. Nothing is more important!
7. I find myself awake at night watching Zeb as he sleeps and making sure
he is breathing and in the correct breathing pattern.
8. I no longer worry about my kids playing football, sports or being
the best at their game, I am just Thankful they are here with me.
9. I want everyone I know to hear our story , not for sympathy, because I am
BLESSED, but so they will know about CHD so they will spread awareness!!
Everyone needs to know about CHD and the impact of it. SPREAD AWARENESS!
10. I now carry GermX everywhere with me. Just call me the GermX lady.
11. I completely 100% now believe in mother’s intuition and I don’t hesitate
to call the Doctor. They know me well. (SMILE)
12. I still cry every single time Zeb has to go in for his Cardiologist
appointment because I don't think he should have to endure this and
then I worry myself sick until the Dr. comes in to give the report,
then I am so emotionally wiped out afterward, I am no good for the
rest of the day. I can't help it I am just a mommy.
13. After each appointment, I realize how strong he is and that he is a
FIGHTER. His CHD has made him stronger than I could have ever imagined
and he is definately stronger than his Mommy.
14. I try to live each day for today and not for the what if and the when
if Zeb will have to have _________. I can't even say it. I just have
to pray and keep believing that God will completely heal Zeb's Heart
and if he chooses not to and we have to face the fire, God will be
with me to walk through it. He has been with us 2 times before. I have
learned to TRUST GOD because when you are dealing with CHD and the life
of your child or love one, it's all you got...HE is our HOPE.
15. CHD has completely changed me, how I feel, how I think, how I
react, how I spend my time, how I greet each day, as well as the
lives of my entire family. I could continue on for pages and pages
of how CHD affects me, but the one think I know now without a doubt
because CHD has touched my life through my child is this....
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!! I have a 2 year old living breathing,
laughing, running, playing, all boy, precious, sweet, God given
MIRACLE living in my house every day! I am so proud God chose ME to
be his Mommy. He may have been born with a broken heart but he has
captured the hearts of all who know him and I thank God for him!
WE GIVE GOD ALL THE GLORY!!!!!
Rhonda ~ ( Mom of Zeb, 2 - Critical Aortic Stenosis/Bicuspid Aortic Valve)
Hey all My CHD Moms/Family.....Check out Adventures of a Funky Heart - and Contribute to his Blog Carnival..... http://tricuspid.wordpress.com/